Diving into Social Media Marketing and getting on Google's first page part 1

Well, it's been some time and I have kept my promise. After reading and experimenting with various things, I've gotten the interest in writing the Social Media Marketing lesson.

Detecting proper domains on Google:

I recently registered my first proper domain name: talesfromskycity.com to kick-start my new website and idea, a platform where authors can earn some ad-revenue for writing awesome stories and since this is something I am very fond of, I decided to actually invest resources to making my idea come true. After transferring all my stuff from Cloud9 to a web-host and parking my domain, I decided to check my ranking on Google and see if they can detect me.

In the end, yes they can actually find me! Even though my Tales From Sky City wiki which hosts some pretty interesting profiles on characters, cities and stuff from my TFSC story series was the first result that came up, I was still happy to find it on the first page except that the description was a little bit... unprofessional. The great news is that my website is around #6 on the first page of Google which means there is a lot of improvement.

Well, that is the end of that experiment. If you are interested in Tales From Sky City, you can check it out at: talesfromskycity.com

What is Social Media Marketing?

I believe everyone calls it SMO or Social Media Optimization but whatever, as long as the point gets through properly. Well, I'll probably be referring to TFSC a lot now because it is new which makes it the best example for this series. Alright, so, what you will need to do is:

a) Start a Twitter, Facebook account and LinkedIn page.
b) Customize them with your logo, description and header images.
c) Link them to your website/blog and put buttons or links to your new social pages.

If you are done all this, I can finally start explaining why you need all this.

Twitter:

To be honest, Twitter is the best place to ever market a product or website and generates the largest amount of impressions ever since paid advertising. I started using Mellow-Ads to show off my new website and already have 200 impressions which isn't great if I don't have any sign-ups.

Twitter's latest update allows you to see how many impressions you got on your tweets for the week and so far, I have roughly 1,800 impressions which is intense and raised my follower count by maybe 6 which isn't much because I don't really use Twitter anyway.

The best part about Twitter is that it is technically a public announcement board which means that your tweets aren't just seen by your followers, they are also seen by the entire world which is pretty cool.

Hash-tags are my #1 recommendation for all tweets. They increase the amount of impressions and reel in everyone who is searching for the specific topic. Recently, I've been using the hash-tag #bitcoin and get daily likes on Twitter on my tweets and I get exposed to new people who are interested in my stuff.

Since I am teaching how to build a blog, let's get started on managing content. So, if you are using WordPress, go get the Jetpack plugin and connect your social network accounts to it, this should post a link to your latest post to any connected social networks which automates all updates... partially.

I rarely check my Techiskey Twitter account because I practically put it on auto-pilot. I use OnlyWire's great social media management services to publish updates when I publish a new post and use "ifttt" or If Recipes for scheduled updates.

Facebook: 

Creating a Facebook page is great because you are building a community. Like Twitter, you can publish updates with Jetpack by WordPress or manage via OnlyWire or HootSuite. I personally don't really go on my Facebook Page which is a huge mistake. Facebook even offers stats for your page and allow people who join your page to post and stuff like that.

According to Facebook, there are also plug-ins for your Facebook Page to expand it even more. You can add games, calendars and even turn it into a mini shop for visitors to check out prices and buy via Shopify, etc.

Pinterest:

One website that has gained a lot and I mean a lot of popularity these few years is Pinterest, yes, the photo sharing site that is mainly used by women. Well, many blogs now have a Pinterest account to share photos of products they review or cool gadgets in general that relate to their blog's main topic. Even KissMetrics noticed the potential of Pinterest and created a guide to Pinterest marketing. Like Twitter and Facebook, create an account, add your logo and header image, I think...

Unlike Twitter and Facebook, you can't upload text, just upload pictures that you've included in your post and maybe a little caption saying what it is and where to read more. Just keep it simple and get users to get clicky.

LinkedIn Page:

Finally, we talk about the "professional social network" for anyone who is looking for a job or finding employers/employees on the internet. Now, LinkedIn, like Facebook allows you to create a "company" page so that employees and website visitors can connect and see what is going on at your blog. A big advantage with a LinkedIn page is trust. Anyone who is checking your page can see the name of the blog, number of people who run it, etc and a LinkedIn Page just boosts engagement from visitors in general.

You can even write posts which are often sent as a notification via email to anyone who follows the blog's LinkedIn page. You can apparently even offer a nice showcase of your blog's latest updates and posts and can even be linked to OnlyWire Premium and Jetpack by Wordpress.

A great resource to check the latest things going on in Social Media marketing is Social Media Examiner plus, you even get tips and tricks on how to do the Social Media Optimization.

Free advertising with Social Media!

Rather than spending that $50 on advertisement banners on website and Pay-Per-Click advertising, try social media and putting your accounts on auto-pilot. It doesn't work as great as paid advertising but gets the job done if you are using Twitter with hash-tags. I use my Techiskey Twitter account to both publish updates, announce new blog posts and to occasionally advertise Adventure Bitcoin which actually got a nice page-view boost and increased ad-revenue.

Twitter Analytics:

Twitter Analytics works really well and is very useful when I try to market my stuff. I can actually check how many impressions my tweets got in total for the month, clicks and engagements in general so that I can research, study and improve my Twitter account to deliver good content to readers.

By default, Twitter Analytics is disabled and in order to enable it, you have to go to your top right corner and click the profile thingy, you will then see "Analytics". Click there and enable them. Now you can see it all.

SMO backfire recounts:

So, there is no success without fail and their is no bigger failure than when you don't interact with your visitors on both your blog and social networks. I learned that the hard way when I completely put my social networks on auto-pilot and left the bots to do their thing. Even though it is way easier and cheaper, it destroys all relationships between the blogger and their readers which gives the impression that the blogger has little or no love for their readers. I enjoy talking and socializing with my readers and if they share links, I always click to check it out (If I find it interesting) even if it is a Pay-To-Click or Bitcoin faucet because sometimes I do reviews and well, you get the idea. Never ever ignore or not interact with your readers!

Another backfire is the spam bot. You know, the ones that spam the same thing over and over again which is kind of annoying. I saw a really clever Twitter account that has a bot who tweets the same tweets everyday at the exact same time which is really annoying but they probably earn of referral revenue with their several thousand followers. It gets annoying and makes me want to unfollow but I don't, why? Because I keep thinking they might post something really interesting and I'd miss it if I unfollow.


Well, I guess this is the end of this post. If you like it, remember to share and if you got any tips or suggestions, you can always tweet them to me @angusleung100 on Twitter.

You can also sign up for our mailing list for the "Build a Blog" series which will send you the latest posts and awesome offers.

http://techiskey.blogspot.com/p/learn-how-i-monetize-and-increase.html
Diving into Social Media Marketing and getting on Google's first page part 1 Diving into Social Media Marketing and getting on Google's first page part 1 Reviewed by Angus Leung on 20:12:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

TIK Technology Is Key. Powered by Blogger.